MuOM, a world renowned Overtone Singing Choir, unique in its ability to create stunningly beautiful polyphony using Overtones
MuOM is dedicated to create and perform its own music, which reaches across all cultures and is deeply contemplative and healing .
MuOM’s music, unique and timeless, has it’s roots in the ancestral Overtone Singing & Throat Singing (khoomei) of Eastern Asia (Tuva and Mongolia) and in the contemporary coral techniques, yet is also completely contemporary and Avant- Garde. Rich in clearly audible overtones and without words, it exploits the full potential of the human voice in it’s pure state.
A MuOM concert is a magical experience: soundscapes created through sustained polyphony and it’s superimposed harmonics, visual elements such as lighting and projections, combined with MuOM’s unconventional use of the stage space to create a surround sound which captivated audiences .
Listeners are immersed in a sound world often described as a transformative , unforgettable and profound experience. The contemplative nature of MuOM’s music invites us to go inside ourselves and rediscover our own inner worlds of subtle perceptions .
MuOM explores the human voice in all its dimensions using the unique vocal techniques of Overtone Singing . From this exploration “Ecstatic Voices “ was born, a way MuOM describes their form of singing .
MuOM’s creative activity stretched into other realms besides only performing or creating music: music therapy, scientific research and teaching
- MuOM’s concerts can involve the collaboration with other instruments.
- MuOM also offers participatory concerts, where the audience is invited to sing with them in various moments during the performance, creating a visceral and beautiful connection with the audience.
- Collaboration with other composers and musicians, where “ Ecstatic Voices “ can fuse with other artistic languages to create amazing results.
- MuOM offers a variety of Overtone Singing Workshops, classes and retreats , where anyone who wishes can acquire basic Overtone singing Skills, regardless of their level . Apt for people with no experience as well as professional musicians and choirs.
- In therapies and workshops MuOM proposes to explore ways to heal through the expression of one’s own voice and the raising of awareness of its Overtones, harmonizing and deepening the connection between individuals and groups.
- MuOM collaborates with scientific research teams from Universities and Health / Medical Centers , to open new pathways in the discovery of how their music can contribute to the healing and well being of individuals and communities worldwide .
Over the past 12 years of, MuOM has has released three albums (Andapindam 2009, Mu 2013 and Ecstatic Voices 2017) and has performed over 100 concerts , in emblematic halls such as Palau de la Música Catalana, MACBA Auditorium, crypt of the Sagrada Familia, Basilica del Pi, Casa del Tibet (Barcelona), Salnitre caves of Montserrat, Loarre Castle (Huesca), Samos Monastery (Galicia), University of Deusto (Bilbao) or St Ethelburga’s center for peace (London).
MuOM has also taken part in many important music festivals such as the (a)Phònica (Banyoles), the Festival Gong (Collbató), the Womex (Santiago de Compostela), the Llangollen Fringe (UK), the Festival Mil·lenni (BCN), the Sacred Music Week (Segovia) or the Sons del Camí Festival (Manresa), among others.
In 2020 MuOM organized a World Sounds Healing Day in Barcelona, and will organize the same event next year.
MuOM has collaborated in a music video for the band U2 and with musicians such as Carlos Núñez, Luis Paniagua, Ravi Ram, Mark Pulidoand Nestor Kornblum and with the catalan artist Xavier Maristany. The composer Ramon Humet is currently writing a work for them.
It has created music for the films “Un trabajo una película” (Xavier Martínez, 2019) and “Recordis” (Victor Brossa, 2019), for the short film “El código interior” (Pau Subirós, 2019). MuOM has collaborated in the music libraries “Dark Era 2018” and “Nada 2019” by Eduardo Tarilonte and on the album “Nanda” by Joan Condal (2018).
In the formative field, MuOM has taught overtone singing workshops at the “Punt de Partida” Pedagogy Conference (ESMUC), at the Oriol Martorell Institute and at the Escolania de Montserrat.
This year MuOM is organizing the III Overtone Singing Retreat , where people from all across the country come for a special weekend of workshops with MuOM .
“We had the honor of sharing the stage with our friend Luis Paniagua, with Néstor Kornblum, with Carlos Núñez and his brother Xurxo, with Shirai, with Mark Pulido and his incredible flat bells. MuOM appears in a 360º virtual reality music video with the group U2, and in soundtracks such as the movie “Un Trabajo y Una Película“.
“In 2014, MuOM, the harmonic choir travels to the United Kingdom, where it performs with great success in the World Concert Series at St. Ethelburga’s Centre for Reconciliation and Peace in the City, and at the Llangollen Fringe Festival in Wales. ”
“We have usually sung in churches, which we have carefully selected for their acoustics, so that the sound experience is more natural and enveloping, and where the harmonics of the voice are amplified and intermingled. Even so, we have also sung in theaters and auditoriums with a suitable technical team, as in the Palau de la Música in Barcelona. ”